Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Following Jesus in the Urban Desert

A day in the life... by James Mortley

The third bus is full to the gunnels again, it's 8.37 and I am not sure I going to make it to work on time, taxi goes by with a light on, but the woman ahead in the sharp suit steps in quicker. i missed my alarm again... agitated start to the day... trying to stem the frustration at indiscipline within. Ken why can't you sort the buses?
In the city, the streets team with grey and black as people hurry their way to offices the Bank Of England towers over us reminding us of a former age of magnificent wealth... the mercedes show room on King William street... Clinton cards has cheap red ballons for valentines day... the smiles from the starbucks sellers... cafe latte... the grins of the security guards at the front desk... 6th floor and the long walk across the floor to my desk with Tony and Lisa at the end... black screen springs to life for another day of staring at the monitor... morning... chat... croissant... order lunch... emails... legal agreements... numbers... banter... complaints.... chicken curry... a treat... bbc website for the latest football news... afternoon and the more of the same... sunset over Southwark cathedral but the blinds are closed, so take a walk... afternoon cafeine... 5.30... the journey home... it's raining... my feet slide on the pavement... people slipping away in the shadows to their homes... bus is on time... lights on the Gherkin... Old street roundabout... short walk past the northgate pub... the alsation is quiet tonight... no one is home at Oakley yet.

Where do I see God or meet him in the day that goes by? What do I see of Him in the world around me that inspires me or gives an image of relationship with Him, either absence, presence, joy etc? Lent is a time of reflection and drawing closer to God in preparation for Easter coming. Jesus spent 40 days in the desert: lonely, frustrated, tempted, hungry, thirsty and tested, battered by the elements, tested in his identity as the Son of God.

The city with its many pressures and voices of desire and persuasion can have a similar impact on our lives, deceiving and distorting our grip on eternal realities, of who we are in Christ.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"If I’m truly to live the experience what else do I need to do, or perhaps not do?"

Ah Steve, now that is a very good question.

I have accepted that I won't be buying any CDs, books or DVDs for the next few weeks. It's ok because it'll give me a chance to re-discover some of those CDs that I haven't listened to for a while, and read the books that are gathering dust on the shelf. But having a cheap night at home wouldn't be as much fun if I hadn't been able to afford those things in the first place. Would I start watching Eastenders just to make the evenings pass? Now that is a scary thought.

I guess as well that on this income all the time I wouldn't have as many clothes and shoes.

So Steve, should we hide half our CDs, clothes, books etc for the next few weeks? I think that would also mean you giving up your iPod, and me switching back to my old HiFi. Oh dear. Are we going too far or is would it be the logical thing to do? I think we need to discuss that over our 'free' breakfast on saturday before taking anything too drastic).

Mark Fletcher said...

Good thoughts chaps.

Talk of giving up ipods & dvds made me realise that there is one side to this that we have not considered, and are unlikely to experience in this experiment. My suspicion is that Jesus call to simplicity & frugality is not intended to be a burden, but liberty.
"Live simply and you have nothing to worry about" - Tate Modern.

The Desert Fathers were a early church monastic movement who shunned the decadence of their society & lived in the wilderness - there is a story that one Monk was visited by visited by the Emperor who ate with him and said
"You are truly blessed because you do not have the cares of this world. I was born to kingship, and the affairs of my empire are a constant concern to me. Each day I dine on
the richest meats and cakes and the finest wines are poured into my goblet. And yet, today mere bread and water have satisfied me as no sumptuous feast ever has."