Thursday, February 10, 2005

"nicotine & multimedia makes up for the shortcomings of being poor"

Day 2. I was applying ashes at the Ash wednesday service. I think I got a bit over enthusiastic and couldn't help laughing as I walked back down the isle to see all thes people with huge black marks on their foreheads. Pub was good, great chat with Rob as ever (he bought me a pint and only wanted a half in return. He is a lightweight but I am not complaining!)
But I have found the first thing that I really don't like about this challenge. It is really hard to be generous. Someone asks me for money, and I think - you must be joking. Met up with a collegue today and I would usually buy them coffee - but not today.
Living frugally is good, but failing to be generous is just not nice. I guess that thinking about money all the time seems a bit shabby too. I guess I am hugely priviledged that most of the time I don't have to think about money. I don't spend a great deal, but I have enough for what I want.
General overspend today though. Had a meeting in town, and Central London is just an all round expensive experience. Walked in to save the bus fare.
Having friends round tonight so that should be nice, not to mention inexpensive. I plan is to catch up on some movies over the next few weeks too - I never have time to watch videos... Lend me your DVD's!


1 comment:

Mark Fletcher said...

I think Lent started on Wednesday Steve - so either you started early, or you are in trouble! Enjoying your diary, thanks mate.
Glad you liked the Belle & Sebastian reference